Saturday, November 18, 2017

Hymns and Yoga

D&C 25
"12 For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous i a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads.

Have you ever been to a Hare Krishna yoga session?  There are available in Utah both in South Salt Lake and in Spanish Fork -- it just takes a quick Google search to find the schedule.  On my own visit, I noticed a reverence to Yoga that's different from the "work out, lose weight" attitude of modern forms of Yoga.  And at the end of my first session, when I was only seventeen, I partly supressed a laugh of surprise when we did the "OMMM" as a classroom, and the teacher gave us a short lesson on how certain vibrations connect us to the divine universe.

"The syllable OM--symbol of Brahman, or God--is, to the HIndu, divine; and in their rituals it is uttered with a solemn resonance, indefinitely prolonged" (Prabhavananda, 2017, Preface to "The Upanishads: Breath of The Eternal").

No comments:

Post a Comment