Saturday, November 18, 2017

Hymns and Yoga

D&C 25
"12 For my soul delighteth in the song of the heartyea, the song of the righteous prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with blessing upon their heads.

Have you ever been to a Hare Krishna yoga session?  There are available in Utah both in South Salt Lake and in Spanish Fork -- it just takes a quick Google search to find the schedule.  On my own visit, I noticed a reverence to Yoga that's different from the "work out, lose weight" attitude of modern forms of Yoga.  And at the end of my first session, when I was only seventeen, I partly supressed a laugh of surprise when we did the "OMMM" as a classroom, and the teacher gave us a short lesson on how certain vibrations connect us to the divine universe.

"The syllable OM--symbol of Brahman, or God--is, to the HIndu, divine; and in their rituals it is uttered with a solemn resonance, indefinitely prolonged" (Prabhavananda, 2017, Preface to "The Upanishads: Breath of The Eternal").

No comments:

Post a Comment